Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What to do when one strays from the strict plan for controlling blood sugars.

When controlling blood sugar with diet and exercise, willpower plays a strong part. And the willpower has to be applied not just on one day or for a specific period of time. It has to become permanent. One is not on a "diet" plan when trying to manage Type 2 diabetes without medication. One is on a "lifelong" course.

For me, use of willpower to do my daily exercise is much more manageable than applying willpower to resist eating desserts or food items that are not allowed.

I can do my workouts anywhere anytime. Whether I am traveling on business or enjoying a vacation in a tropical paradise, I will find time and create the opportunity to get in some walking time, tread milling and lifting weights. It does not appear like it is a chore to me. So I have that base covered.

Ever since I have had my glucose readings and my A1C in the normal range I have felt good. But over time, I have become a little more relaxed in my restrictions related to sweet dishes and how much of a particular dessert I consume at one time.

This can be dangerous. Fortunately, I have been through these types of situations enough times that now I have a pretty set way of dealing with the deviation. In other words, i have a system for getting back to good control when I have fallen off the wagon.

Luckily, this happens generally for no more than 1 or 2 meals. And that also around the holiday time. Here's my process for course correction.

First, after every meal in which I know I have eaten more carbs or higher glycemic index food, I always check my blood sugar multiple times until the "clearing" takes place. If the peak is high, like 147 for example, I get concerned. So first step is to get a wee bit scared. And the fear comes from looking at a high reading. And that happens from an established habit of checking blood sugar frequently. I am quite data-driven so that also helps.

Second step is a follow-on from the first one. Fear from the high reading puts me in a fighting mood. Combat status to quell the rising glucose blood sugar number and get back to normal as quickly as possible. I take action the next day right from breakfast. I watch what I eat and do my exercise attentively. And I test. Blood sugar returns to my usual levels. Leads to relief and satisfaction. Good feelings to have.

1 comment:

  1. In order to keep a check on your blood sugar level it is important to keep testing the blood regularly with the equipments which are already in the market. But a diabetes blood testing device and check your reading every alternate day. Soon enough you will understand what food and what life style you have to include in your life in order to control your diabetes.

    Regards,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete