Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Eating cheesecake.........with Type 2 Diabetes.

Yes, it is possible to enjoy a slice of cheesecake in spite of the Type 2 diabetes. Of course, with some caveats.

First, I like to make my own. With soy flour and crushed up Equal tablets and full-fat cream cheese and butter. And it comes out beautiful. The glucometer needle does not move even a little bit after I eat my cheesecake. And it is not that difficult to make. I am sure a web search of cheesecake will yield many possibilities. Just be sure to substitute traditional ingredients with diabetes friendly ones.

Second, the Cheesecake Factory sells sugar-free cheesecake by the slice. These slices are made with Splenda (according to their nutrition information) and contain 6 grams of carbohydrates per slice. Most of the carbs comes from the thin crust made with Graham Cracker like material. Each slice is quite large. So very often I have half a slice one day and the remainder the next day. This makes for quite a treat.

Third point is that I have come across several restaurants that have sugar free cheesecake slices on their dessert menu. These are not the same Cheesecake Factory product I mentioned earlier. In fact, these cheesecake slices are made with agave nectar, a natural sweetener quite popular with the organic loving, green conscious, ultra purist crowd. Once in a while, agave nectar in cheesecake slices have not hurt my sugar control. But I would not recommend it as a daily sugar substitute.

I savor my cheesecake. In spite of my Type 2 diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment