Friday, March 13, 2009

What is the optimal post-meal blood sugar reading for me?

The optimal post-meal blood sugar reading for me is the lowest number possible. Yes, that is how I view this particular goal.

There are many "standard" targets.

The American Diabetes Association states that "Postprandial plasma glucose (after a meal)" should be less than 180 mg/dl.

The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists cites "140 mg/dL as the 2-hr PPG". PPG here means post-prandial glucose.

In my opinion, the above two glucose goals are too generous. The ADA specifies a peak number. The AACE does not mention a peak but instead talks about a 2-hour recovery goal.

Both targets are in stark contrast with the actual observed peak amongst non-diabetics. Which happens to be 140 mg/dl. No matter how many carbs a non-diabetic consumes, his perfectly functioning body will keep the maximum glucose level below 140.

So why should we, Type 2 diabetics who are controlling the disease with diet and exercise, not reach for the same thing? I do.

My post-meal sugar goal is below 140. Occasionally, I may drift into 145-150 but not very often. And over time, I have learned the impact of certain foods on my post-prandial readings so that I can adjust my carb and/or caloric content to stay within my self-imposed limit.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, my target sugar levels after meals is <120, and so far I have been pretty successful in keeping my sugar levels under 120.
    I would like to add some of my thoughts/experiences. I work our very regularly since I was diagnosed with type II D, for me to complete my work out routine everyday and not feel tired afterwards I have to cnsume more carbs than norm, but I noticed that this is not effecting my sugar levels as I am burning more calories and carbs with my workout routine. I ran 3 - 3 1/2 per day one week and then do weights the next week, i.e. I alternate between cardio and weights every week and this routine is working out great for me, I am not only maintaining my weight but I am again starting to loose weight.

    Best Regards

    Adnan, Phoenix AZ

    ReplyDelete