Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Vegetables that help control blood sugar in Type 2 diabetes.

I have found that some vegetables are very helpful to me in my effort to control blood sugar after meals. Conversely, there are some that are very harmful.

The list of harmful vegetables is not that long. The main culprit is potato. And I used to love potatoes. French fries, baked potatoes,mashed potatoes with gravy. All are absolutely delicious. But I don't eat them anymore. I remember reading an interesting quote from someone that eating steak and potatoes can kill you but, contrary to popular opinion, it is not the steak that kills, its the potato.

Green peas and tomatoes should also be eaten in moderation. A little bit of either vegetable will not hurt the sugar readings.

All green leafy vegetables are excellent. Cauliflower and broccoli top the category of nutrient-rich and glucose-neutral veggies. Lettuce of any kind works well too but I personally prefer Romaine lettuce.

The only vegetable known to actually cut down blood sugar level is bitter melon. It is common in the Indian sub-continent. But not elsewhere. I try to eat it regularly. In spite of its bitter taste. I slice the bitter melon into thin strips and saute them in olive oil with salt and pepper. And down it like I am taking medicine. Which is what it is. It sure beats taking bitter melon supplement pills.

5 comments:

  1. I love reading these blogs. It makes me extremely knowledgeable.

    http://www.colonialmed.com/

    transform@colonialmed.com

    Dharmendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dante,

    You should be proud of your accomplishment.
    This disease has been a hard feat for most people. I would have agreed that the vegetables you mentioned may not be good for your particular case I would not discount those vegetables for everyone. However now in addition to that I have found some research that proves that the water we now drink -especially bottled water does not help the body substain a healthy state because it is too dense highly oxidative(does not offer the anti- oxidants to promote cell health/stop aging) and our bodies and food-( when we wash them )are obsorbing the chemicals-. Go to:getvibranceandhealthnow.net
    Best regards, Tawanda, VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dante ~ just finding this blog which is helpful especially since you're the only person I know who loves data as do I! I'm pre-diabetic and my doctor was happily surprised, and a smidge shocked, when I told him I wanted to test! I test often throughout the day and am building muscle because I realize it metabolizes sugar better. I feel I became pre-diabetic due to genetics and having survived a medical crisis a few years ago which left me unable to walk well for a couple of years. I notice you no longer maitain this blog and wonder if you maintain another you would care to share with me ~ if you do I'd love to read it. I can be emailed at downstairsunit@aol.com ~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gooseberry is very helpful in preventing diabetes. There are many people who drink Bitter Gourd Juice and controlled their high blood sugar level. I suggest everyone must drink Gooseberry Juice and BitteGourd juice every day to maintain good health.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hubungan diabetes darah tinggi grateful to find your blog from the search, when I visit here I get very nice information

    ReplyDelete