Saturday, March 7, 2009

High blood sugar readings on some days.

In the last 3 years as a Type 2 diabetic, I have observed that on some days, blood sugar readings are abnormally high in spite of no change in diet or exercise routine. This non-normal increase can be as much 20-25 mg/dl above the typical reading. I have tried to observe this divergence carefully whenever it happens to analyze the potential causes.

I had noticed that every time I had a cold or the beginning of the flu or a sore throat, my fasting blood sugar was higher by about 15-20 points. Meaning that sometimes this number crossed the 100 mark. Which is high for me.

In the beginning I was perplexed because the increase would show up even before the traditional cold or flu symptoms would appear. I would scratch my head as to why that was happening. I would go back and examine everything that I had eaten in the previous two days. I would start researching causes on the internet and go back to my books.

Then I realized that anytime I had an infection, specially a viral one, nasty or mild, blood sugars always shot up prior to the appearance of nose running or throat hurting or fits of cough. I confirmed this observation in the books and other reliable information sources.

I didn't much care about the biology of it but I was relieved that the blood sugar increase was not due to anything more sinister. I always had these two fears that I had developed from reading some stuff somewhere.

First fear was that Type 2 diabetes control through diet and exercise works fabulously in the first 12 months but that soon after that, the body becomes resistant to it and sugar levels begin to rise. Wrong! Did not happen to me. But every time I had a slightly elevated reading in the months after my first anniversary, I used to get nervous and worry about exactly this.

Second, that beta cells burn out over time after the "honeymoon" period when diet is controlled and exercise is begun. Not knowing exactly how many beta cells remained healthy in my pancreas and having read somewhere that in most cases, when Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, 75-80 per cent of the beta cells are dead, I used to worry that a series of non-normal blood sugar readings indicated rapid beta cell burnout in my pancreas.

Thankfully, I don't think about such dreadful possibilities anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading your blog, some really good information there. I myself is a type 2 diabetes patient. I was diagnosed with type 2 about three years ago, and since then I have completely changed my lifestyle. So far I have lost 60+ lbs and counting, I run about 3-3.5 miles/day every other week and lift weihts and other weights exercises other week. So far this is working out perfectly for me, I have gone down from 44 waist size to 37 now, my goal is to 34.
    Like I said earlier you have really good information on your blog but I think you are missing few things here. First of all not all carbs are bad and second important thing that really helped me to control my sugar levels isportion control. Before I was diagnosed I use to eat foot and a half of subway sandwich in one sitting and I would not even think twice about it, and oh yes 2-3 fillings of regular coke. Now if when ever I eat subway I usually get a 6`` sub on a whole wheat bread with no mayo. Th the point is you can still eat what you want just make sure you know your limit and stick to it. So far I have kept my sugar levels in normal levels to the point that I only check my levels not so often any more, because can tell when my levels are out of wack.
    I still really enjoy reading your blog, keep up the good work.

    Best Regards
    Adnan, Phoenix AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adnan,

    First of all, congratulations on your success in controlling your Type 2 with diet and exercise. Great job in losing the weight and in maintaining strict control on how much you consume in a meal.

    You make both excellent points about some carbs being good and the benefits of portion control. In fact, I have been meaning to write about my own experience with portion control and how it helped me lose weight. It is also one of the most difficult things to do - kudos to you for exercising such self-control.

    ReplyDelete