Friday, March 6, 2009

Sandwiches for a diabetic's lunch?

I love sandwiches. But as a Type 2 I can't have them anymore. Well, at least not everyday. I miss it very much though.

Here is what I do. Which curbs my appetite for this bread-based delicacy just enough. Let me trace my thought process.

I started with low carb alternatives to the white or whole wheat bread slices that are the mainstay of most sandwiches. The first candidate was the GG Crispbread. All fiber. nearly zero net carbs. Firm texture that could hold beef bologna or turkey or cheese in between two pieces.

And I followed this option for many weeks. The best tasting crispbread number was a grilled cheese one. Basically, I took 2 crispbreads, placed a big hunk of American cheese between them and then microwaved it. That made for a nice warm pseudo-sandwich. Other possibilities included crispbreads with cream cheese, canned tuna, lunch meat slices and many different kinds of cheese.

One problem, They were not quite the same as a sandwich with real bread. And the crispbreads still tasted like paper. That's when I discovered the Healthy Life bread which has only 5 grams per slice. So one can make a pretty decent sandwich with two slices of bread and still stay under 10 grams of carbs.

Not bad for a Type 2 diabetes to be able to make a sandwich and eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment