Wednesday, March 4, 2009

For Type 2 diabetes, what other exercise besides walking?

For my Type 2 diabetes, it turns out that I need a little more exercise than just walking for optimal blood sugar control.

Most of the diabetes books mention walking and also muscle-building exercises. The problem with muscle-building workouts is that one needs equipment or one has to go to the health club. And buying equipment alone is not enough. One has to be properly trained to use the equipment to not get hurt. And at the health club a trainer would be necessary.

Also for the fifty somethings, specially this one, muscle building exercises are a little bit over the top. There is a good deal of risk in my opinion.

I am not a health club person. So that option was out for me. I am also not into ellipticals and exercycles and other complicated machines I see in the health clubs.

So I had to figure out how to go about doing some muscle-building exercises on a regular basis without hurting myself and with minimal equipment.

I settled on a simple 10 lb. dumbbell as my equipment and an easy routine that works the shoulders and arms. I do this every other day. Works just fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment