Sunday, February 22, 2009

Losing weight in the first 60 days and my initial predicament

Interestingly, I was never overweight. But I was tipping the scale at the top end of the Healthy/Normal weight range for my age, sex and height. My BMI number was also fine. So at first, it seemed like I didn't have any "weight to give" to deal with my Type 2. Thinking I was okay in the weight department, I did not focus on wight loss as a priority to get my blood sugars down or my A1C below 6. I was feeling pretty depressed. My father was never diabetic in his entire life. My mother who is in her 70s has normal readings. Both my siblings have no signs of prediabetes or insulin resistance. Which meant that I did not inherit any defective genes. Then somebody told me something which really depressed me. It may or may not be an urban myth but it did catch me at the worst time. The comment was that "diabetes skips a generation". And my paternal grandfather was diabetic. But those were olden days with imprecise diagnoses and faulty treatments. Maybe he was not, I hoped. With with no specifics about Type 1 or 2 in the "generation skip" comment, I was even more confused .

I started thinking about the symptoms I had heard about up to that point in time and if I had any of them.......frequent urination, lots of urinary output, occasional blurring of eyesight, sleepiness after eating, etc., etc.,

I did not have any of those symptoms. Well, all except feeling somewhat lethargic after a heavy meal. But that was due to " blood rushing to an empty stomach to deal with the food in the stomach" is what I had read and heard. So that was not too much out of the ordinary.

Then...what was the problem? Why was I diabetic?

And more importantly, what should I do first?

Where do I even begin?

I realized how totally, absolutely ignorant I was about this disease and more so about how to control it. There was literally only one actionable thing I could think of. And that was to give up everything sweet. No more sugar in tea. Which I used to have to the tune of 2-3 teaspoonfuls in a coffee mug of black tea with half-and-half. And at 3-4 times a day, that alone translated into 10 teaspoonfuls of raw sugar every day. But I can't drink unsweetened tea, I thought. So I reached for artificial sweeteners but even that poses questions of optimalness - which one is the best or shall we say least harmful to the body? Equal or Sweet-n-low or Splenda? I picked Splenda ... had heard good things about it. It tasted awful the first few times I tried it in tea.

This was only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment