Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Introduction

Here is the beginning of my journey.

On May 26, 2006 I got my blood test results back based on sample collected on May 15, 2006. My fasting blood glucose was 127 and post prandial blood glucose was 255.

A week later, on May 31, 2006, I got my A1C tested and it was 6.9%. There was no doubt about my diabetes.

For those who may not know, fasting blood glucose above 125 and post meal glucose above 200 and HbA1C reading of 6% or above, places one in the diabetic camp. Not pre-diabetic and not insulin-sensitive. Full Type 2 diabetes in all its glory. I was aghast.

But I resolved to get back to a non-diabetic blood profile as quickly as possible. And started learning about what I needed to do to achieve that. I became a man possessed.

On July 26, 2006, less than 60 days after confirmation of diabetes diagnosis, I got my blood tested again. This time my fasting blood glucose was 84 and my HbA1C was 5.7%. I also got my insulin and C-peptide levels measured. And they were perfectly normal.

To confirm the blood results, my physician had me go back for another fasting blood glucose and insulin level measurement on August 2, 2006. Numbers were 80 for the fasting blood glucose and nearly the same insulin reading as the week before. I was back in the non-diabetic world again as I had planned. I felt relief and a sense of success. Hard to describe in words.

Did this mean that I was cured of this disease? Of course not. But without any medication or insulin, I had managed to reverse my diabetes. And in less than 60 days. No miracle cure. No test drugs. And nearly 3 years later, my numbers are better.

So that there is no doubt in any one's mind that I am making this up I have scanned the pages from my blood test reports and will upload them as soon as I can figure out how to add pdf files to the blog. When I tried to do it a few times, I got Error messages.

Anyways, the purpose of my blog is to share my findings with others and hopefully gain some important knowledge from others. I suppose if there is a category of diabetics that people like me belong to, it would be "people controlling Type 2 diabetes with diet and exercise". With 25 million Americans already diagnosed as diabetics and another 54 million people with prediabetes or borderline profiles, we all need to learn about this sneaky but deadly disease.

More to come........





Diabetes Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment