Friday, February 27, 2009

Breakfast of Champions with Diabetes.

To reiterate a previous point, as a Type 2 managing the diabetes with diet and exercise, it is critically important to keep the glucose rise after breakfast to no more than 30-35 mg/dl over the fasting blood sugar reading.

Furthermore, the body for many different reasons, reacts more to carbs in the first meal of the day than to any other. My personal experience confirms this fact.

To meet the above goal, one has to experiment with the right mix of proteins and carbs and balance that mix with taste and flavor to settle on a meal that is sustainable over the long haul. I have managed to have basically the same breakfast ever since I found that this combo consistently delivered on my goal of 30-35 mg/dl maximum increase after breakfast.

I start out with 8-9 almonds that I soak in water when I first come down to the kitchen. These almonds are not snack almonds.....they are raw, untreated, pristine almonds that I buy in bulk. That is the first thing I consume as I start my early morning "feast".

I had said before that bread is an old time favorite for me. I really struggled with not being able to eat bread for breakfast until I discovered my solution.

Early on, I used to eat bran crispbreads. The brand name is GG Bran Crispbreads and I ordered them online. They used to come from some Scandinavian country. Frankly, they taste like cardboard. And look like it too. But they are a diabetic's best friend. They have very little carbs because they are mostly fiber in content. Tough to digest and tough to swallow but easy on the blood sugar.

Anyways, I found the Healthy Life brand of whole wheat bread in the bread aisle of Dominick's one day and have not looked back ever since. One slice of this bread contains 5 grams of net carbs. Compare that to the regular variety where one slice gives you as much as 25 grams of carbohydrates.

This bread is a life-saver for me. I apply a generous portion of good butter on a single slice of the Healthy Life bread and I am good to go.

To balance the carb content of the bread and almonds, I fry one egg in olive oil and eat it with relish. The feeling of relish....not the condiment.

So there you have it. My breakfast. I have 1 egg, 1 buttered slice of Healthy Life Whole Wheat bread and 9 almonds. I top this meal off with my cup of tea sweetened with Equal tablets and Whipping Cream.

This works for me day in and day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment